Duratherm has developed a series of high temperature molded transitions for mineral insulated thermocouple sensors. The new transitions provide the durability and heat resistance required for a wide range of temperature sensor applications while reducing sensor cost. High performance thermoset resin fully encapsulates the sensors critical cable and lead connection area. This transition construction provides superior mechanical protection and improved moisture resistance. The sleeve reinforced molded transition adds additional protection for demanding applications.
Both styles of the high temperature molded transitions are available with resin rated at 800° F. (427° C.) continuous and can be supplied molded with a 900° F. (482° C.) rated thermoset material when required.
These molded transitions offer premium performance in a low cost, high quality thermocouple construction. The majority of our lead style mineral insulated thermocouples can be constructed using the new molded transition. Many of the most common configurations are stocked as assemblies and only require cutting to customer specified length and junction welding to complete.
Key features of the molded transitions include the following:
- Lower cost – molding operation eliminates many manual operations required for potted style transitions.
- Superior seal – total encapsulation of cable to lead connection provides excellent resistance to moisture.
- Heat resistant – standard resin materials offer continuous operating temperatures of 800° and 900° F.
- High strength – molded transition is resistant to breakage, provides high pull strengths and is well suited for many sensor applications. The sleeve molded transition style offers increased strength for demanding applications in abusive environments
- Versatile – standard, miniature and micro size transitions satisfy the need for compact and rugged sensor assemblies. Our in-house tooling and molding capabilities allows us to offer a wide variety of custom sensors.
- Fast delivery – combination of extensive stocking and improved process insures rapid delivery on both standard and specialty cable sensors. Our new stocking program allows standard same day or next day shipment on most common thermocouple configurations. This is particularly important to processors who must minimize downtime.
The molded transition style thermocouple is suitable for most industrial, aerospace and laboratory environments and is being used in an endless variety of processes including molding, extrusion, thermoforming, packaging, food processing and chemical processing.